Monday, March 18, 2013

Hexagonal Aluminum Handles

Hi,
today I just want to share a little idea about tool-handles, I came across lately. In a hardware store I found hexagonal aluminum rods in the size of a classical wooden pencil and I thought, these would make some nice tool handles. The wrench size of these rods is 7.0 mm. So I cut off pieces with a length of 10-11 cm from these aluminum rods like you can see on the following picture.



Then I drilled an axial hole on each side. In fact I made three versions with holes in 1.0 mm, 2.0 mm and 3.0 mm size for holding 1mm, 2mm and 3mm tool tips like you can see on the following picture. I confess it is not easy to get the holes exactly centered. After that I drilled in small holes with a diameter of 2.5 mm in at a 90 degree angle to the first hole and about 0.5 cm from the end of the rod. In this holes I cut threads with a m3 size, so headless set screws with m3 size will fit in.

These set screws will fix the tool tips inside the handle. Of course you don't need the whole side-holes-and-set-screw thing. Instead of that you just can glue the tool tip inside the axial holes with metal glue, but I prefer the set screw solution because it gives me the option to change the tool tips and to adjust the length of the tool tips.

Finally I bevel the ends of the tool handles because I don't like these hard edges on my tools, but this is more an aesthetical aspect then a technical need. I do this by fixing the rod into an electric drill set it into rotation and carefully grind it down with an electric file or a usual metal file.

Finally the whole thing looks like that:






What you can do at last is to give the handles a nice and smooth surface by using fine grinding paper and a polishing wheel (I still have to do that).

Ah, I nearly forgot to point out a main advantage of this tool beside the fact that it feels like a pencil. It didn't accidentally roll from your desk because of the hexagonal shape and this is a big point, especially if you use small and delicate tools that could easily be damaged.

So I hope you like this idea. See you next time.

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try making my own tools. Making something myself gives me the freedom to change what doesn't work to something better. Thanks for the info.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the idea. Are you considering adding the hexagonal shape to your other handled?

    ReplyDelete
  4. You mean, if I will sale this kind of handle?
    No, I don't think so, because it's too much work, especially the drilling is quite delicate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. herzamanindir.com - harrah's raffle tickets
    harrah's raffle tickets harrah's 바카라 사이트 raffle tickets harrah's raffle tickets harrah's raffle tickets harrah's 바카라 조작 raffle tickets harrah's 포커 raffle tickets 바카라 사이트 목록 harrah's raffle tickets harrah  หารายได้เสริม Rating: 3.9 · ‎22 votes

    ReplyDelete